Finding Biblical Hope in the Waiting

Monday, July 3, 2017




When you hear the word hope what do you think of? The following is definition of hope I pulled from a quick google search...

     Hope- a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.

or as a verb- want something to happen or be the case. 


We often think of hope as a wish, or a desire for something to come. However, this is not biblical hope.  Psalms 62:5 says:

         "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken."

Biblical hope is an assurance and a confidence of what's to come, not wishful thinking. See the difference? Wishing for something is like saying,  "I can only hope that comes true someday." Biblical hope is like saying, "I rest assured of the promises of God, because my hope comes from him."

Notice how biblical hope is rooted in God's promises. His promises are revealed to us through scripture. Scripture gives us plenty of examples of how God has shown himself faithful over and over again to his people. There are testimonies of healing, deliverance, miracles, rescue...only to name a few. These testimonies of his goodness and faithfulness should build up our confidence in Him.  As believers, we see this hope, this confidence, this assurance, because we KNOW of His faithfulness. We have read about his goodness and how He is a God of his word! Those without this knowledge or relationship with God, have no basis for their hope. No firm foundation....so the "hope" is merely an empty wish to them. Not a signed, sealed, delivered promise from God that we KNOW he will keep, because we know HIM and how he always keeps his word.

So do not throw away your confidence; it will be RICHLY rewarded. You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.
                                  Hebrews 10:35-36

Be joyful in HOPE, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 
                                Romans 12:12

We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary, behind the curtain where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf .
                                 Hebrews 6:19-20 


The longer you have been around Weston and I, the quicker you will learn that we love cruises! When I read this verse, I am reminded of the huge anchor that holds that sinks down deep into the depths of the sea and keeps the ship anchored, firm and secure. This scripture says our anchor (our hope) reaches into the inner sanctuary, all the way behind the curtain....to JESUS, who has entered on our behalf. So the root of our hope, reaches to the heavens, into the very presence of God himself. Nothing more secure and firm than knowing you are tethered to God himself by your hope.


For those who don't know our story, we have been trying to have a baby for the last 7 years. It's been 7 years of waiting, wondering, questioning. 7 years of disappointment every. single. month. In this season of waiting, the enemy has tried over and over to steal our joy, our hope and our faith. BUT GOD. In those moments of frustration and hurt, He ALWAYS comes and reminds us who HE is and of the promises he has spoken over our life. I won't lie, in the beginning my mentality was more of a "if only..." or "I just wish we could be parents..." Joy is a daily choice and some days it's easier than others. But over the course of time and seeking after God, he has shown us that He sees us right where we are. He's developed our hope into something much more powerful than wishful thinking. I don't know how people who don't know the Lord can face something like infertility. There are literally days where the only reason I felt strong enough to brave leaving the house and seeing all the precious little babies out with their parents at the store or where ever we were going was because I knew my strength came from God. Without that, I would have faced many dark and lonely days and probably be in a really scary place. But BECAUSE of His goodness, BECAUSE of his faithfulness, BECAUSE of His word we have the assurance and confidence that our little miracle is in the making, only in God's timing. Now I don't mean to make it sound like I don't have bad days, because I do...they just aren't as bad as they could be if I didn't know the God I serve and carry the hope only he can give in my heart.

Are you patiently (or impatiently) waiting for something? Is there a desire in your heart that is unfulfilled? Is there a dream that you think is impossible? Can I just remind you that God sees you. He hears your cry. He hears your prayers. He has not forgotten you. And He does the impossible! He knows your heart. He knows your desires. He very well may have given you that dream. He sees you and he feels for you and he loves you. He meets you right where you are. And where you are may not be a pretty place. You don't need to be in a place in your heart, mind and spirit where everything is fine. You don't need to be perfect. You don't need to have it all together. You don't need to have all the answers or have everything planned out, or know the who what when where and why behind it all. . You may be hurt. You may be broken. You may be bitter. You may have some trust issues. You may have some anger. But he doesn't care. He comes to us in our brokenness and meets us right where we are. In the ugly messy pit of all our doubts, fears, and emotions, He grabs us by the hand and takes one step at a time with us. He challenges and stretches us to change our mindsets and attitude, but He never leaves us. He brings strength. He brings restoration. He brings joy. He brings courage. He brings hope.

So my prayer for you today is that your would come to know hope in whatever season of waiting  you are facing. That you would feel His tender, loving hand reach out to grab ahold of yours and His sweet small voice calling you to come with Him on this journey, reminding you that He will never leave your or forsake you. Reminding you that His promises still stands and great is His faithfulness.



 

No comments

Why I started using Essential Oils

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a doctor. I can't make any medical claims, diagnose, or treat any medical conditions. The following is just m...